[Skip to content]

tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load
Monday 17 June 2019
Salford News Header Montage
Latest News:
RSS icon
[ Zoom ]
Think why A&E

Think why A&E over the festive period

Salford Royal’s Accident and Emergency department doesn’t need to be the first port of call if you’re unwell. There are lots of different service and places you can go if you are feeling unwell, which are summarised below.

Lots of health problems can be treated just by looking after yourself. Keep a supply of over-the-counter products, such as painkillers and antiseptic, and if you are feeling unwell, drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest. 

The NHS website - https://www.nhs.uk/, gives a complete guide to conditions, symptoms and treatments, including what to do and when to get help.


Community pharmacists are highly trained healthcare professionals who can give you advice on common illnesses and the medicines you need to treat them at home, saving you a GP appointment. Most now have a quiet area away from other customers where you can speak to the pharmacist more privately. 

Go to www.salfordccg.nhs.uk/local-services to find your local pharmacist, including opening hours during the bank holidays

NHS 111

NHS 111 is the number to use if you are not in an emergency or life-threatening situation, but do need medical help quickly. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. For D/deaf people, or people with hearing loss, use your textphone and call 18001 111.


If you're worried about an urgent medical concern, you can now also get help online using your smartphone, tablet or computer.

NHS 111 Online is fast, free and easy to use and offers the same help as the 111 phoneline. It is becoming increasingly available across England throughout 2018.

Use NHS 111 Online to:

  • answer questions about your symptoms
  • find out where to go for help if you can’t see your GP or dentist, or get a call back from a nurse
  • get advice on self-care

Get help online now.

This is a new service. Please help to improve it by taking part in the user survey, which you will find at the bottom of each page. 

GP (doctor)

If you have an illness or injury that will not go away, you may need an appointment with a GP. All GP practices in Salford now also offer online services, such as booking appointments or ordering repeat prescriptions, in addition to phoning or visiting your practice.

Appointments are available with a Salford GP until 8.15pm on a weekday and between 9.30am and 12.30pm on the weekend.

If you want an appointment with a local GP between 6.30pm and 8.15pm on a week day or 9.30am and 12.30pm on the weekend, please book an appointment through your own Salford GP practice as normal.

These appointments take place at the following venues:

  • Swinton (Swinton Gateway)
  • Eccles and Irlam (Eccles Gateway)
  • Broughton (Newbury Place Health Centre)
  • Ordsall and Claremont (Pendleton Gateway)
  • Walkden and Little Hulton (Walkden Gateway)

This extended service is run by Salford Primary Care Together and is an extra 20,000+ GP appointments available to people registered with a Salford GP, in addition to appointments with practice nurses and other healthcare professionals.  

Go to www.salfordccg.nhs.uk/local-services to find your local GP practice.

Mental health support

Your mental health is as important as your physical health. There is a lot of things you can do to look after your mental health without additional support but, if you are feeling like you need help, your GP can advise and refer you to the services available in Salford.

Go to www.salfordccg.nhs.uk/mental-health-services-in-salford for more details on the services available in Salford. If you need urgent help, or are having suicidal thoughts, call 999 or go to A&E. You can also call the Samaritans, for free, any time on 116 123.


If you're struggling with dental issues like toothache, your first call should be to your dentist.

Go to www.salfordccg.nhs.uk/local-services to find your local dentist.

For urgent in-hours dental care, please contact 0161 476 9649. For urgent, out of hours, dental care, please contact 0161 337 2246.

Accident and Emergency (A&E)

If you go to A&E when you don't need to, you will be turned away and told which is the most appropriate health service for you. 

An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies like:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic accident


A&E is not an alternative to a GP appointment. If your GP is closed you can go to 111.nhs.uk or call 111, which will direct you to the best local service.