[Skip to content]

tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load
Monday 25 October 2021
Salford About Header Montage
Latest News:
RSS icon

Appreciation, Complaints or Concerns

PALS Leaflet

We would like to hear from you if you think we have done something well or if you have suggestions on how we could do something differently. Equally, we want to know if you are unhappy with the service provided or have a complaint. All feedback is seen as an opportunity to review services, so that we can make sure we are offering appropriate services that are right for your needs.


Appreciation and feedback

If you would like to tell us about your experience, give thanks or comment on what we did well, please use this simple online form.


Alternatively, you might like to publish your feedback or leave a review of our services on the NHS Choices website.


HELP - ward staff

Getting help

Sometimes things don’t always go just as you would like them to.


You have several options to raise concerns, but first of all we would ask that you speak with the Ward Matron or Ward Manager in the department.  Many problems can be resolved quickly by talking things over.  Misunderstandings can easily happen and sometimes just as easily be put right.


If you have tried this and are still not satisfied, ask to speak to the Lead Nurse, Assistant Director of Nursing or Service Manager.


HELP - pals

PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

If you do not want to discuss your concerns with the staff or their manager, or if you have tried this and are still unhappy ask to speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). 


Our PALS are here for you – providing confidential advice, information and support for patients, relatives and carers.  PALS are available to assist with concerns and liaise with staff on your behalf, ensuring you receive an appropriate response.


The PALS team can:

  • Actively listen and respond to concerns, suggestions or queries to help make patients' experiences as easy as possible
  • Provide information on NHS services
  • Offer advice on the complaints service and provide information on how to seek independent advice if you wish to make a complaint
  • Support you through an anxious time as a patient, relative, friend or visitor
  • Feedback your views to the Chief Executive and Trust Board
  • Monitor any problems arising and identify any gaps in services
  • Help the organisation learn from patients' experiences and comments.


The PALS Office is situated on level 1 of Hope Building, and is open Monday to Friday, 08:30- 16:30 (excluding bank and public holidays).  Due to restrictions the PALS team is not available onsite, but they can be reached by phone or email.


Sometimes it may not be possible to speak to a PALS Officer immediately, so you may prefer to contact them on 0161 604 5897 (answer service available), email or you can write to:

Patient Advice and Liaison Service
Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
Stott Lane
M6 8HD
For further information, please read our information leaflet.


If you decide to make a complaint

You have the right to make a complaint about any aspect of care provided by the Trust.


Many people find it useful to discuss concerns straight away with the ward or department, or with one of our PALS advisors.  However, you do not need to have previously done this in order to make a formal complaint.


If you do decide to make a complaint, this should normally be no more that twelve months after the event you are complaining about.

Our experience has shown us that when someone puts their complaint in writing, it gives them the opportunity to really consider the questions they wish to be addressed along with their desired outcome, all of which are very helpful in assisting us to resolve complaints.


You can contact one of our specialist Patient Advisors on 0161 604 5800email or you can write to:

Pete Turkington

Chief Officer

Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust

Stott Lane


M6 8HD

The Chief Officer will ask one of our specialist Patient Advisors to investigate your complaint on his behalf.  The advisor will usually try to contact you to discuss your complaint so please provide a telephone number when submitting a complaint.


Independent Advocacy

Anyone making a complaint about NHS services can receive free independent advice and support from specialist advocacy services if they wish. These services are commissioned by Local Authorities so the service you access will depend on who your local council is. To find out which service to access in your area, speak to PALS or alternatively you can contact your local council directly.