[Skip to content]

tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load
Friday 28 February 2020
Salford News Header Montage
Latest News:
RSS icon

Get the Right Treatment at the Right Place

Right Treatment Right Place logo

Here at Salford Royal, we are asking for your help in keeping Accident & Emergency (A&E) free for those patients who really need it.

More than 500 patients each month come to Salford Royal's A&E with illnesses that are best treated by another part of the health services, for example a GP, pharmacist, dentist or NHS Direct.

Emergency Department Consultant Dr Bruce Martin said: "Our A&E department is one of three Trauma Centres in Greater Manchester and it's really important that local people help us to keep A&E free for those people who really need it.  A&E doctors and nurses will continue to prioritise those patients who urgently need our help and work with those patients who come to the department with minor injuries or illnesses to help them find the most appropriate service."

RTRP - Self Care


Self Care
Minor ailments and injuries (such as the ones listed below) can often be treated at home by a combination of over-the-counter medicine and plenty of rest.

  • vomiting

  • diarrhoea

  • tickly coughs

  • sore throat

  • flu-like symptoms

  • ear aches


Keep a first aid kit and a well-stocked medicine cabinet (always keep medicines out of the reach of children).  A basic first aid kit should contain these items.


RTRP - Professionals


Professional Health Services
The following groups of people are all qualified to provide a range of medical advice and treatment:

  • Pharmacists - Visit your local pharmacist when you are suffering from a common health problem that does not require being seen by a nurse or doctor. Your pharmacist can give you confidential advice on illnesses and the medicines you need to treat them

  • Doctors - Call your GP surgery if you need medical advice, examinations or a prescription.  Make an appointment with your local GP when you have an illness of injury that will not go away.  In an emergency, a GP can also visit your home outside of normal opening hours – if you need this service, telephone your local surgery and follow the recorded instructions.

  • Dentists - If your dental care needs are not urgent, please contact your local NHS dentist for treatment.  If you need advice or urgent dental treatment out of hours, including at weekends and on bank and public holidays, please call 111.

  • Sexual Health Advisers - The Goodman Centre is open from Monday to Friday. Appointments are normally required except for rapid HIV testing, which is offered on a walk-in basis.  Click here for information on how to book an appointment.




Accident and Emergency
Accident and Emergency is there for serious or life threatening situations only.


Please use carefully so it's there without wait for the most life-threatening and serious conditions.

To find a Doctor or Dentist

  • Visit a surgery of your choice and ask to be registered
  • Visit the NHS Choices website
  • Text 'DOCTOR' or 'DENTIST' to 64746
  • For more information, help and support call NHS 111


Video clips

A number of video clips have been produced in a various languages which are aimed at informing patients of what to do if they feel unwell and to signpost them to the right place.  


RTRP - banner