[Skip to content]

tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load tab rollover pre-load
Sunday 29 November 2020
Salford News Header Montage
Latest News:
RSS icon
Search
.
Clinical Sciences Building external

Refurbishment of the Clinical Sciences Building

Work began late in 2016 to demolish parts of the Clinical Sciences Building at Salford Royal and refurbish the remaining block.


The Victorian building was initially constructed as a Nurses’ Home and training rooms and has been used for many different functions over the years.


It is no longer energy efficient and would require extensive refurbishment to bring it up to a satisfactory standard. As a result, blocks A, C and D will be demolished while block B is being refurbished.


It is planned that the space created by the demolition will be used for the expansion of the Major Trauma Centre and for the implementation of Healthier Together.


Demolition of block A is expected to be complete mid-May. Block B’s refurbishment is due to be complete by the end of June and then, from late July blocks C and D will be demolished. All CSB demolition work is expected to be complete by the end of October.


Jack Sharp, Executive Director for Service, Strategy and Development, said: “Access to the emergency department will remain open at all times; disruption will be kept to a minimum for emergency vehicles accessing the site from Stott Lane or for those vehicles using the north car park.


“Sections of the building that are close to the road will need to be demolished by hand to ensure traffic can pass by safely and without interruption.


“The CSB is now the oldest building on the hospital site and although it is no longer fit for purpose, we will do our best to preserve some of its original features as it has played a major part in the history of the organisation.”


A potted history of the CSB

The CSB was constructed for the new Nurses’ Home and Training Rooms in two parts. A and B blocks (the two nearest Stott Lane) were completed in 1903 and blocks C and D were completed in 1923.


On the north side of the building, where north car park is now located, tennis courts were available for staff recreation and the nurses’ tennis team.


In 1975, part of D block (which faces the A&E department) was demolished to give up space for the new Webb and Worthington House Doctors’ and Nurses’ accommodation (two 10-storey buildings) and memorial garden. All but one tennis court was replaced by a residents’ car park. On the completion of the Webb and Worthington, the use of the CSB was changed to accommodate the various forms of University Research, some NHS laboratories/clinics and the staff restaurant by 1979.


In the early eighties, the hospital computer suite was added in C block. Over the past 15 years, the major refurbishment works have been to the B block for the upgraded laboratory, restaurant and IM&T services. B block is the block that will remain following the current upgrade to the ground floor to accommodate services from the other three blocks.


Clinical Sciences Building external
The Clinical Sciences Building
[ Zoom ]
Clinical Sciences Building showing inscription
The Clinical Sciences Building, showing original 'Nurses' Home' inscription